The Property Redress Scheme is a government approved Redress Scheme who resolves complaints between Members and their consumers. The complainant must have exhausted the Member’s internal complaints procedure and remain dissatisfied with the Member’s response. The Property Redress Scheme is free to use for the complainant and further information and guidance on how to resolve complaints is available via their website.

In order to make a complaint, please contact the Property Redress Scheme directly or alternatively, visit their website and fill out a Complaints Form. The Property Redress Scheme contact details are as follows

Website: By Email:

By post at:

The Property Redress Scheme, Premiere House 1st Floor, Elstree Way Borehamwood Hertfordshire WD6 1JH

PRS REdress Scheme Complaints Proceedure